Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Been there, Done that!

Well, we survived Ike! I thought it would be kinda interesting to see what a hurricane was like, but after just a cat 2 I don't think I will " hunker down" for another one. It was like being in a 12 hour tornado. You could hear the shingles being ripped off my roof. My fence blowing apart and hitting the house. I did look outside a couple of times (which is a no, no. They tell you to stay away from windows) and my little trees were on the ground from the wind blowing as hard as it did! (they did survive) We only lost power for about 12 hours. Which was a real blessing! And I only have a leak in my breakfast area. So Jeff and some other guys got up there during the pouring rain and put a tarp on it (Blayre calls it my "Blanklet" that is how she says blanket. it is pretty cute!) It is just a mess down here. You have to wait in line for hours if you can find a gas station with gas. And forget about getting any groceries. Milk and bread are a impossible to find. They shut most of the grocery stores down at night so they can try and restock the little they have. (even Wal- mart) They bring the police in to help. It is truly unlike anything I have ever seen before. Sage has been out of school all week, they are trying to clean up, but there is a lot of damage. And we have nothing compared to those down south. It is like a bomb went off. But with all that we feel so blessed to have power and a roof over our heads. God is so good. This week we have the most beautiful weather. It has been in the 70's and at night in the 60's. What an AWESOME GOD! During this whole time the Casting Crowns song "I will praise you in this Storm" comes to mind. We have to give him the praise he most definenlty deserves!!
Sorry about the picutre

My parents house
Help on the way!!!

4 comments:

Leslie said...

I'll take hurricanes over tornados anyday. We've been through quite a few hurricanes here in Virginia Beach. It really helps when your area is used to them an completely prepared, if it's not a regular thing for your area I bet it's a real mess. Glad you all made it. Hopefully you don't have to deal with another one anytime soon.

Hilary said...

Glad to hear everyone is ok, and that your homes didn't have much damage. God answers prayers, huh?

The Garvie Family said...

I'm glad it is over and everyone is okay. Damage..smamage, that's nothing Jeff can't fix.

Becky said...

I don't know about hurricanes over tornadoes - hurricanes are so huge and they hit everyone - tornadoes can kind of skip around. Glad the damage wasn't worse. You know you can always ride out those storms in Oklahoma!